Saturday, June 23, 2012

Snowboarding Season: Short & Not Sweet

All you mid-westerners can thank us for the mild winter that was most notably lacking in snow...as we bought nice new snowboards to mark our entrance into our mid-life crisis and all possibilities of snowfall ceased for the year.  


Chris indicated his wish for engaging in snow sports by wearing his ski goggles in the house. So astute observer that I am,  I checked the snow reports and accumulations and manufactured snow amounts in our fine sister state up yonder.

So we head north one fine Saturday afternoon, to Wisconsin, to where there's actual topography resembling hills.

The Boy in tow too, we opted for lessons, as our biannual snowboard efforts tend to leave us lacking in skill. We spent a fair bit of time on

the bunny slope, mastering the electric carpet, before heading to the ski lifts.  I will say, I didn't end up in the trees this time getting off the lift...a first. 

So we spent time on the slopes, trying to remember how to turn, how to avoid trees and small children.  It seems like I fell down more this time than last time and I've forgotten how to turn.  It's possible we should try and snowboard more than every other year.  As is evident by what happened next. 

I will preface this by saying we had our helmets on.

But sometimes, maybe bubble wrap would be better. While Colin was finishing up his lesson, I was at the bottom bowing out of the last run, set up to take pictures of Chris on his last effort down the hill.

I managed to snap this shot, literally a split second before Chris caught his heel edge and planted his skull into the back of his helmet when he then hit the ground.  I heard the thud and looked up to see Chris splayed out his back on the snow. 

After the usual gasping and groaning subsided,  Chris found his way upright.  Bystanders were suggesting a check over by ski patrol EMT's, but Chris was adamant that he was fine and ready for another run.  We made our way over to see how the Boy was doing, and in that time, the negative effects of the sudden impact of Chris's head into the delightfully well groomed hard packed snow began to intensify.  We decided to call it a day and made our back to the lodge.  Chris went with Colin to return the Boy's rental gear, then they met up with me at the lockers.  Chris asked me if he was wearing pants.  He asked me if we needed to return Colin's gear. Asked where his stuff was.  Asked if he had pants on.  Gave me the keys to the car.  Asked if he was wearing pants.  He seemed very concerned about this.  And yes, for the record, he was wearing pants.

We made our way back to the car and got our gear loaded up and I began realizing he had hit his head a bit harder than is good.  I have had my fair share of blows to the head and concussions and whatnot, but, ironically, I couldn't remember what you're supposed to do about it. I made a few calls to a nurse coworker and opted to head to the ER.  I figured, loss of consciousness, losing at least 45 minutes of memory, and a clear concern about his apparel, were all good reasons to go.
The ER doc said he'd live, but said no more snowboarding this season, and no more blows to the head for at least 6 months.  Well...that just takes the fun out of everything now doesn't it?